Tuesday, April 10, 2012

4 Green Thumbs

Here's a good reason why we shouldn't move right now...
We just started a garden!
One day, Judd and I took a look at our backyard and decided it needed a little love. So we went to the plant store and bought all kinds of stuff. Then we waited to see what would happen.
So here's what it looks like all together. The lady next door who's really good with plants gave us an umbrella so the sun wouldn't totally roast them. Bindi ate the watermelon, hence the chicken wire.



This rose bush was already in the backyard, but more or less dead. We've been nursing it the past few weeks, and not only did it come back to life, but it bloomed!


Here's the petunias and lettuce. We tried planting both of these in a sunnier section of the yard. They burned to a crisp, so back under the umbrella ICU for them. Looking much better!


We bought carrot, cucumber, and pea seeds. So far, only the pea seeds have sprouted.


Here's an assortment of basil, strawberries, mint, and a pepper plant!


As seen on TV, and our back yard... Topsy Turvey! We tried this a couple years ago, but failed miserably. Mostly because we forgot to water them. Not this time around. I'm determined to make this make tomatoes!


And last, but not least, a miniature orange tree! Not sure if it will actually grow oranges since it's so puny, but it smells so good!



So there you have it! I wouldn't say I'm a crazy plant lady yet, but maybe I'm getting there. I call them my "plant babies," and have decided if we do move, they're coming with us. At least I don't sing to them. But I do spend plenty of time out there taking care of them. It's actually really soothing to take care of the plants. I find it really relaxes me after a hard night of work.

And call it cheating if you want... but Miracle Grow does WONDERS for plants!!

2 comments:

  1. This is SO awesome! I want to try this now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work!!!! I never thought of putting up an umbrella for plants...
    Are your carrots getting enough water and sunshine?? they should have sprouted by now... be careful with the mint... it usually will just grow like crazy and take over everything- if you end up moving you might want to plant it in a pot next time... strawberries will sprout up/off new plants with time too ;)

    ReplyDelete