Monday, August 20, 2012

I hope this makes sense.

How am I feeling this morning? Frustrated, down, and kind of mad.

I posted an article over the weekend about women who are seeking more leadership opportunities in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. You can read it here:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifestyle/54704413-80/church-equality-female-general.html.csp?page=1

I thought it was really interesting, and I agreed with many points. I felt like I could relate to many of the women interviewed. My point was not to offend or bash the church in any way. Rather, I know these are issues so many women struggle with, myself included.

I said on Facebook I'd write more of my thoughts on this article. Instead, I think the more pressing story is why I took it down.

I posted this Friday night. By Saturday morning, I already had comments and private messages on it. Most were positive, but I did get a text from someone asking me to remove it. This came from someone who says she knows I have issues right now, but since we've never talked about it, I don't think she understands why. It was defensive in favor of the church, fearing I might give non-members the wrong idea.

I really didn't want to, but after dragging my feet on it (I did have A LOT going on that morning to be fair), I eventually took it down. It started off a chain reaction of people either worried they offended me, or people thinking I was brave to even open up the discussion.

I want to have more of these discussions. I want people to open up and talk about real issues. But now I'm scared to open up myself, because I might offend someone. Which is stupid, because I offend viewers every day with controversial stories not everyone likes. I'm trying to have these conversations tactfully, and I'm trying to not say things people will be hurt by. I've made some mistakes, so I'm really trying to not come off like I'm attacking anyone.

It just kind of brought everything back to square one for me, in feeling like I'm very much alone in my journey to figure out what I actually believe. It's not true, I've had some great friends (and husband) to vent to, but none of them are actually going through this. And now that I feel like I have to censure myself, I feel even lower.

And it goes so much more beyond a stupid Facebook post.

Can everyone just do me a huge favor? If you know for certain someone is struggling with faith, can you skip any accusations? It hurts more than I can explain to hear I don't have enough faith, I'm just not spiritual enough, I'm not really trying to make things better. The prophet/bishop knows better, just follow the council, etc. Maybe you should read/pray/go to church more.

It might be an attempt to get the person to feel "humility" and come back, but when I hear that, all I feel is humiliated and wonder why the heck I can't just believe.

The best you can do, in my advice, is just listen, show your concern, and offer love and support. I'm truly thankful to the people who have been there for me in this.

I'm doing the best I can. I can't unread what I read, and unlearn what I learned. So I'm just trying to move forward and decide for myself what I believe in. I don't want to leave. I just have to make it work.

UPDATE: I just read this back again. It comes off like I'm complaining too much. I'm really a happy person! I'm not angry at anyone, and I really don't want to intentionally offend. I'm just trying to work through this, and writing/venting helps.

3 comments:

  1. i hear you! i have had to delete things off of my blog and facebook because people were accusing me of things that were psychotic... i also deleted them and blocked them cause there is no need for people in our lives that arnt going to support us in our decisions... plus its your blog/facebook honey. you post whatever you want....

    sometimes i still feel like i have too put disclaimers at the bottom of my posts so that people wont make rude comments... i support you though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, I didn't mean to attack you. Facebook is full of idiots. I didn't want idiots to just read the headline and assume things about the church. I completely understand how you could of misunderstood me. I honestly didn't mean to attack you, I was never looking for satisfaction and I never received it from our conversation. I didn't mean to set you back. Please keep blogging all you want. I just don't think Facebook is a good place to discuss topics such as religion. Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, I didn't read the link posted above (oops..sorry! lol) But, you'll figure out where you want to be when the time is right for you. I hate the feeling of feeling like you need to censor yourself on a place that is suppose to be considered your own page. Unfortunately, the people who read them judge us too easily, so putting what you really feel out there is so hard. But, maybe sometimes life before blogs and facebook was a good thing so we didn't over evaluate and post our lives and learn about others! We sure do love you Kristen!

    ReplyDelete