Monday, January 21, 2013

"...No need to lobby for rights"

A fair warning: this blog will not be spiritual or pleasant.

It's Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! A time to honor the man who made it his life mission to secure equal rights for all Americans. A time to remember the sacrifices so many people endured so we could live in a society where people shouldn't be judged by the color of their skin, their gender, or who they want to marry. A time to reflect on the privileges Americans have in this country to speak up if they don't agree with something, and lobby to make it better.

But there's one group, my friends, who is being told to NOT lobby for their rights.

I'm talking about the women of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, specifically the impressionable Young Women ages 12-18.

Consider this quote from Elaine S. Dalton, General Young Women's President, given just a few days ago at a BYU devotional:

"Young women you will be the ones who will provide the example of virtuous womanhood and motherhood. You will continue to be virtuous lovely praiseworthy and of good report. You will also be the ones to provide an example of family life in a time when families are under attack, being redefined and disintegrating. You will understand your roles and your responsibilities and thus will see no need to lobby for rights."
Elaine S. Dalton, YW General President, January 15, 2013.

http://byutv.org/watch/de1638f4-c3d1-48ec-8999-cc8face48ab7/byu-devotional-address-elaine-s-dalton-11513
At approximately the 32:28 mark

I can already hear the argument that perhaps this is just Sister Dalton's opinion, and doesn't represent the Church's stand.

But remember, this is the woman who is the head of the entire Young Women's program. And now, she's telling those girls to accept things as they are and keep quiet about it. The speech was given a week ago. If the Church disagreed with it, wouldn't they have said something by now?

Recently, there have been two social movements in the Church. One, Wear Pants To Church Day. This was an opportunity for women and girls to show support to those who have felt demeaned at church because of gender, simply by wearing pants.

The other is ongoing: an effort to finally have a woman pray in General Conference this year. It's never been done before. It may not sound like a big deal, but to the thousands of people signing the petitions, it is.

Fun fact: did you know women were banned from saying the opening or closing prayer in Sacrament meeting in 1967? The ban stayed in place until 1978, when the Brethren admitted there wasn't a scriptural reason for it in the first place.

Anyway, so these two big movements are getting a lot of attention, both from church members, and the media. Is it just a coincidence Sister Dalton told this audience there was no need to lobby for rights? I don't think so.

This speech has inspired a lot of LDS feminist response. I'm glad I'm not the only one shocked by this. The first link is an open letter I was touched by. The second, a moving essay about one of MANY LDS women who have lobbied for rights.

http://www.feministmormonhousewives.org/2013/01/dear-sister-dalton/

http://www.feministmormonhousewives.org/2013/01/keep-busy-in-the-face-of-discouragement/

I will close with just a few more thoughts:

This blog is in no way attacking anyone who chooses to live the life prescribed by Sister Dalton. Having a strong and faithful family is great! And if a woman chooses to stay home to strengthen her family, more power to her. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm not against stay-at-home moms. I'm against the theory that all women must live this life because they are women.

Women have a long history of lobbying for rights. We've come so far. Now, we see a movement where women recognize they aren't being treated equally in the church. Obviously this isn't every woman. I've been told by numerous friends they feel just fine in the church, and that's good for them.

But at some point, we have to recognize there are enough frustrated women in the church, that two big movements were started within a few months of each other recently. We have to recognize our sisters are hurt, and find the problems behind it, instead of telling them there is nothing to worry about. Instead of getting so defensive of the church, we have to remember it ISN'T perfect. All one has to to is look at the very inconsistent history to figure that out. There are problems that need to be addressed, not ignored.

I'm sure I'm frustrating a lot of people with these blogs and thoughts. Thank you to those who continue to read and support me. This journey has not been easy. But if I could get one person to really think about, and talk about these issues, it will be worth it. I've had a lot of meaningful conversations with both women and men about how upset they are about this kind of stuff, but feel like their opinions aren't listened to.

I've also listened to members who really don't see the issues at all and don't feel like it is a problem. For those who I've been able to have a good conversation with that didn't turn into an attack, thank you. I recognize the church has done a lot of good for a lot of people. It can be hurtful to see someone angry at it. I've been on that side of the fence, I know.

I've had some people ask why I don't just leave. Clearly, I don't like the doctrine, the rules, or the culture. For personal reasons I don't want to get into on this blog, I'm kind of stuck where I'm at. It's incredibly frustrating to me at times, and it only gets worse when I see stuff like Sister Dalton's speech.

The only way I know to live my life now is by not lying to myself and others. I'm not going to pretend to be super LDS around some people because I'm afraid they'll shun me if I'm not. I'm just going to be the person I want to be, which is a strong, open-minded woman who isn't afraid to think outside the box. I just have to have faith at the end of the day, people still like me for ME, not because of my beliefs.











3 comments:

  1. I honestly feel the same way. I've chosen to leave a church that is so fraught with hypocrisy.

    After my divorce, I faced a lot cold shoulders and blatant disrespect. I had people tell me who had NO IDEA what was going on that I was breaking my covenants for a stupid reason and that I shouldn't run away from my problems, and that I was essentially going to hell.

    The thing though that sent me over the edge was that nothing ever happened as far as church discipline to my ex. He was abusive and disrespectful to me and Lorraine. He cheated through online relationships on me while I was pregnant, and involved himself in activities that weren't legal. I have been diagnosed with PTSD from that relationship. But the church did nothing. Yet my sister who while did something wrong was EXCOMMUNICATED! I don't feel her "sin" was of such a great nature that excommunication was necessary.

    I still believe in the fundamentals of the church. God is my Heavenly Father. Christ is my Savior. Families are forever. But that's about where my beliefs end. I don't think you have to be the perfect Mormon to be exalted to heaven.

    I don't ask the church to reform their ways. I honestly don't believe they will until they are good and ready to despite the petitions to address the concerns women have in the church.

    I've been captivated by your posts regarding this issue. I'm just not bold enough to voice my opinions, because I don't want to hurt my mother. She always gives me something church related for birthdays, christmas or mother's day hoping that I will "come back to the fold" She gets books at Deseret regarding "wayward children" It's somewhat comical to me but at the same time kind of sad because I know she allows herself to be hurt by it.

    I am sorry this has been so long. I've been meaning to comment on others but could never quite find the words....well they came tonight LOL.

    I understand your frustrations and I don't judge you for having them, like so many would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Las Vegas, NV. Thanks for addressing this. Here's a link to a post about the same talk:

    http://community.babycenter.com/post/a39376264/elaine_daltons_talk

    And here's a powerful youtube video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XRp0dCFoT4&feature=youtu.be

    God bless Sister Dalton. I imagine that this is a humbling time for her, if she is aware of the fallout from her words. I listened to her entire talk, and I thought about the context of her life experience. Her breathy, happy tone probably serves her well in her culture. The men in her life undoubtedly think of her as a virtuous, pure, madonna-like woman who is of great worth. She loves her role in their lives. However, her role is defined by the men in her life, and she is blessed that they do not take advantage of her vulnerability. As Shannon commented, there are countless women around the world and in every neighborhood who are victimized by the men in their lives.

    Sister Dalton probably imagined that she was speaking with a completely sympathetic audience, an audience that relates to her life's path. A path that does not include abuse, addiction, divorce, church inactivity, persecution of homosexuality, or other "non-traditional" variables (I'm assuming this from her family picture. Maybe she has experienced these things, or maybe members of her family have experienced them. But according to her own talk, she has received great blessings because of her path of discipleship, the most precious of which is her family.)

    But that's not how it works out for everyone. And those who do suffer need advocates who lobby - and fight - for them/us.

    Angie Crowther

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment. From some of the LDS women I've spoken to about this, they agree 100% with Sister Dalton, because they feel if you're following the church guidelines, you wouldn't feel the need to "lobby". And if someone complains, it's an automatic "well, they were offended" and the blame gets put on the complainer. Perhaps the church needs to look at why so many are "offended". This dismissal of hurt feelings is the reason why so many people are leaving the church. Since I'm committed to sticking with the church for now, I'm also committed to keep speaking up!

    ReplyDelete