Sunday, November 20, 2011

Her Diamonds

I can't sleep in today, even though it's Sunday morning. My mind is frazzled, so I'm up watching Sister Wives on Netflix and blogging.

Yesterday, I lost one of the diamonds in my engagement ring. We were out running errands all day, but I'm pretty positive it popped out somewhere in Costco. We were loading up the car, when I looked down and kind of screamed. It was kind of fruitless to go back and look for it. Costco on a the weekend before a major holiday involving food is worse than the I-15 on a Friday afternoon. Carts and shoppers extreme.

So, trying really hard not to cry, I asked if we could go to a jeweler. We headed over to the Galleria Mall, where we went to the place that has originally tightened it. My jaw dropped when they told me what the damages were going to be. Just under a thousand. I asked what would happen if we stuck a CZ in there, at least until after the holidays. Since a good portion of the price was the labor, Judd decided it wasn't worth it, so we coughed up a deposit.

I'm so mad at myself. I know it's just a ring, but I feel like this wouldn't have happened if I had taken better care of it. I haven't had it serviced in three years. Cleaned, but not taken care of. I have noticed the diamonds rattle sometimes, and the thought did cross my mind to get it looked at. I'm disappointed I let this happen to my husband's gift he spent so much on. He's been so sweet, which I appreciate.

I'm also kicking myself for not getting insurance on the ring. We looked into it when we first got married and setting up car and rental insurance. It was going to be an extra $30 a year. At the time, we were cash-strapped broke college students, so it seemed like a bill we could avoid. Now I'm thinking, 30 bucks? That's like the cost of eating out at Claim Jumpers. Ugh. That's changing Monday!

So I just learned a very expensive lesson in taking care of things of value. I know it's just a "thing" and I could have had something more serious break like my car, but this was a special gift Judd saved up for a long time to get for me. I need to treat it better. I'm going to be the best ring owner after this, trust me!

1 comment:

  1. awww I started tearing up when I read this! This hasn't happened to me, but I can understand that feeling. It's not about the actual ring, it's about the thought of the gift from your husband. I am sorry to hear this! :( It will look beautiful and new when you get it in! :)

    ReplyDelete