Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Labored

NO, we couldn't remember the exact posing of Charlie's Angels, but we're cute anyways.

My Labor Day started bright and early at 4:00 a.m., where I woke up to go to work. I figured it would be a chill day, who wants to commit crime on a holiday? The scanners were pretty quiet for the majority of the morning. I got a few phone calls complaining about Days of Our Lives being canceled for an all-day showing of a tennis match. I ate a healthy turkey wrap that our morning guest brought in to show parents how to make healthy food.

8:30 a.m.: I'm due to leave work in a half an hour, when I hear this on the scanner:

WE HAVE A 442 TWO MILES WEST OF THE EXECUTIVE AIRPORT.

While there are several police codes to learn, there's a few that should always stick with me, because there's a BIG emergency.

442 is an airplane emergency.

We learned very quickly that a small airplane had crashed in a neighborhood by Silverado Ranch and Bermuda. Instantly, all our phones started ringing. We sent the nearest reporter in that direction while we frantically gathered whatever information we could to help her. Our helicopter went up. We cut to breaking news, infuriating everyone trying to watch the tennis match.

I juggled 4 phone lines, which included requests from CNN, Janet the reporter, Ian the producer, the police, witnesses who wanted to share their story, witnesses who wanted to sell us photographs (unethical, people!), and of course all the angry tennis people upset that they couldn't watch their game. Those people really annoyed me because I was trying to do my job and get information from witnesses and the police and get it to Janet and Ian and I would have to stop in the middle of it and get yelled at by a tennis fan!

Eventually we learned that the pilot was a hero. He landed the plane in the middle of the neighborhood street rather than hitting a house. Unfortunately, he passed away, but his three passengers survived. Neighbors were also heroes; they doused the plane with water and got the fire out before the authorities got there.

I got out of the newsroom at 10:00 a.m., with plenty of time to enjoy the rest of Labor Day. But this is why I love the newsroom, it's a super exciting place to be, especially when breaking news happens!

Later, we let off some steam and went shooting with Kim, Geoff, Amber, and Telly! Had to celebrate at some point, right? I'm no where near the shooting level of the guys (Telly's in the military, Geoff's a policeman, and Judd's just really good), but my trusty pink gun and I are getting there!

2 comments:

  1. Fun!! That sounds like exciting stuff at your job. That's great! And...I wish there was one more spot for Charlie's 4th Angel :(

    What weekend did you want to hang out again? I forgot and some stuff has come up, so remind me...shoot me an e-mail! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete