Sunday, November 28, 2010

Rest in Peace, Little Cousin

When I was younger, I always wondered why I didn't have more cousins than I could count like a lot of my friends did. I was shocked that there were people out there who didn't even know all their cousins' names. For me, it was easy. I had 3 cousins total for most of my childhood, plus another that came along in my teens. We joked that we got a new cousin every decade and it was somewhat true.

The Alworth family couldn't have been more thrilled to find out several months ago that a new cousin was on the way. My uncle Cameron and his girlfriend Berit were expecting. November 11, Anderson Montgomery Alworth was born. He had our nose, our chubby cheeks, and our dark hair. He was one of us...

A few short days later... November 25... he left this world, all too shortly.

I'm sad I didn't get to meet the little cousin I have waited years for, as he lived across the country. I'm feel terrible that I couldn't go with the rest of my family to his service tomorrow. My brothers and I donated a floral arrangement, but I wish there was more I could do. I love my extended family and wish I could be there just for support.

I don't know what I would do if I didn't believe in a life after this. It's such a tragic and hopeless thought to think that little Anderson was here and gone without a purpose. His life has brought people together and strengthened family bonds. There is another baby out there who lives because they received Anderson's heart. I hope there is a day when we will all be with this little baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment