Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Oh, those Pioneers!

(I love how I wait until Tuesday to write my weekend blogs...you know, since nothing exciting really ever happens on the weekdays. I'm still slightly annoyed at the camera for running off, but as long as he reappears in time for the Cape Cod trip, we're all good!)

Confession Time...

When I was younger, a lot younger, like 9 or so, I hated the pioneers.

We had moved from Ohio, a pleasant, multi-cultural place where I had a variety of friends to American Fork, Utah, where everyone was white and LDS. I am too, so that shouldn't have been a big deal, but what made me different was that I had absolutely no pioneer ancestry. Seriously, these kids would compare pioneer blood lines, "Well, I'm a direct descendant from Brigham Young." The teachers would talk about it in the classroom like everyone had someone who had crossed those plains. My family is from New Jersey originally, so I always felt some resentment that I didn't have cool pioneers somewhere in the family tree. I also had a slight fear that maybe some distant New York ancestors helped drive the pioneers out!

But obviously I got over my extreme dislike of the pioneers and now appreciate them. And to show my Pioneer Appreciation, I went to a Pioneer Parade this weekend, the first one I've been to since I lived in Utah.

Let's admit, Pioneer Parades are a bit hokey (and this is where I wish I had my camera). There's no actual covered wagons with oxen or horses pulling. Instead, it's trailer beds being pulled by F-150s carrying large groups of Primary kids with water guns and illegal candy-throwing. But still, it's a fun event! I always play this game with myself whenever I'm in a large group of people to count the number of things that are unique, sort of like the game where you count all the red cars on the highway during a long car drive. This time, it was women/girls in tank tops (you know, Mormon event=Modest is Hottest!) and guys in full out pioneer garb. Judd's sisters Molly and Robin were helping with the formerly Cumorah Credit Union booth and float, and the in-law's trailer bed made a cameo appearance in the parade disguised as a pioneer wagon!

And you can't beat free snow cones and buttered pita-bread! A pioneer favorite...

And it's always fun going with good friends. We went with Sierra and Darren, Patricia and little Max, and Andrea and her girls Tori and Lexi!

Afterwards, we hung out at Sierra and Darren's house where Bindi perfected her box turns in hopes of becoming Team Boron's future hope. Later, we celebrated another American tradition and went to a 51s game, then we got a totally American snack: deep fried Oreos on Fremont Street!

2 comments:

  1. September, eh? Well, we will have to see what is going on! Tyson might have drill, but I'm not sure. You guys should definately come and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new look! Dont' worry, I won't judge you even if your ancestors tarred and feathered us.

    ReplyDelete