Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dear Hollywood,


Dear Hollywood,

I understand you feel there is a need to make an American version of an internationally acclaimed movie The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo that's only been out a year. Just because the book took off in America doesn't mean there needs to be an American version of an already existing Swedish movie. You're playing to the needs of lazy Americans who refuse to read subtitles. There's also a voice-over dubbing option as well (but kind of loses the effect). No offense or anything, but you kind of tend to screw up good books when you turn them into blockbusters.

And there's the fact that you seriously considered casting Kristin I'm-really-good-at-biting-my-lip-and-that's-about-the-range-of-my-acting-ability Stewart as Lisbeth. Noomi Rapace, the Swedish actress who plays Lisbeth in the existing film DOES speak English, just so you know. But then again, she's been this character for a year and a half now as Sweden chose to film all three movies at once so she might be tired of it. Rooney Mara has some BIG shoes to fill!

Plus, as super uncomfortable as some of the scenes were, they are part of the story and I think you would just dilute them (I covered my eyes anyways, they were that uncomfortable, but at least I knew what was going on!). I liked the idea that some of the girls stood up for themselves after all the abuse they had gone through, even if it was extreme. I've read that late author Stieg Larsson witnessed a rape as a youth and felt horrible for not doing anything about it, hence why his female characters are very strong.

Some of the best films I've seen were foreign made, Run Lola Run, Hero, and Life is Beautiful just to name a few. I think it's fun to watch a movie made from different perspectives than American filmmakers. They give a glimpse into different cultures and different values and how artistic expressions are viewed.

I understand you have to appeal to the masses. Just try really hard not to screw it up, okay?

Yours truly,
Kristen

1 comment:

  1. So Geoff and I rented this movie. The story is riveting, but you didn't exactly mention how graphic it is when you recommended it. Geoff and I weren't sure we had picked up the same movie you recommended, but we figured there couldn't be any other Swedish movie by the same name. ;-) haha!

    Honestly, I am also a bit nervous for the Hollywood version.

    ReplyDelete