Sunday, August 29, 2010

First Time Field-Producing!


Today was my first time field-producing a live news event and getting paid for it! Channel 8, along with LVRJ and PBS, put together the Gubernatorial Debate between Rory Reid and Brian Sandoval tonight at the Andre Agassi Preparatory Academy.

My job was to be the stop-watch queen. Basically, each candidate only had two minutes to answer a question, and one minute to rebuttal. We had to keep them within time since this was a live event with no commercials. I would work the stopwatch, and Chris would hold up the time cards. Surprisingly, the candidates mostly managed to answer the questions within the allotted time! Now whether they actually answered the questions is another story...

Without getting too political, I was impressed on how much the candidates were concerned about the failing education system of this state, and intrigued by both of their plans. I've read up on both of them and find things I like in both. Unfortunately I was too absorbed in keeping the time and barely breathing for an hour to really focus on how the candidates answered the questions, but that's what DVR is for! I wish there had been a little less mocking the competition, but I guess that's to be expected. Thankfully the audience was mostly quiet until the end when a couple of Reid supporters couldn't hold it in anymore and had to let us know "RORY HAS A PLAN!". Guess what, Sandoval does too!

It was a really great experience and affirmed to me that I'm definitely in the right field of business. It's exciting to work on a live show in the location that the rest of the city just watches on their screen. I liked meeting cool people and feeling so professional in my suit and sitting up front. It's really neat that Channel 8 let Jay (another current UNLV student, cool kid) and I work this show even though we're still in school. But then again, I'm excited that we have these jobs before we graduate! I hope we did them proud!

1 comment: