Sunday, August 29, 2010

Oh Bindi, you dumb dog!



If you've been reading this blog for the past several months or so, you all know how much I absolutely love my puppy Bindi. Well, our love for Bindi was put to the test Friday when she decided to eat Judd's special Birthday Brownies!

My plan was to make this awesome brownie structure dusted with cocoa mix and powdered sugar, then put little toy dirt bikes on it for Judd's birthday. So I bake the brownies, set them where I'm pretty sure Bindi can't reach, and wait upstairs for them to cool off. Bindi was sitting innocently in the office with me for awhile, then wanders downstairs. 3 minutes later, Judd comes upstairs and asks me what I did with the brownies. "They're on the counter", I remind him, can't he still smell that lovely chocolaty wafting through the house? "Kristen, we have a BIG problem", he says. Just then, Bindi comes into the room, guilty as sin, with chocolate in her teeth.

"GET THAT DOG IN THE CAR!!!" I yell. "THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!" We rush to American Pet, which was closing in 15 minutes. Lucky for us, we're still super cool with them, so the second we got there, they rushed her back and gave her an injection to throw everything up. They invited us back to the treatment area (you know, since 9 months ago this was my job and all!) to watch them save Bindi. They stuck a tube down her throat to pour four tubes of activated charcoal through.

Now when I did this back in the day, dogs would fight tooth and nail for this procedure (unless they were freaks and enjoyed the taste of charcoal). I was super proud of Bindi for sitting still and letting Dr. Pond and Lori work with her. (yes, this dog CAN sit still, believe it or not!). They released her just in time for us to rush to Judd's Buffalo Wild Wings party (more on that later).

Bindi is going to be okay, thank goodness, mainly because we got her to the vet within 20 minutes or so of her eating the brownies. If your dog eats chocolate, the quicker you get her to the vet, the less invasive and less expensive the treatment (by the way, thanks APH for the discount!), and more likely your dog won't have any lasting damage. We're really glad the staff was able to make her feel better so quickly, and I really appreciate them making me laugh when I was seriously on the verge of tears for being so dumb with the brownies. They piled up some of the barf and stuck a makeshift candle in it and sang to Judd, way gross, but I really needed that laugh!

Now I have to make them brownies as a sweet thank you!

1 comment:

  1. That is a funny story! It will be a good memory some day. :) Our dog LOVES to sneak things from the counter...and she can be so stealthy and look so innocent. Then we'll find a whole bread bag outside on the grass. Luckily she hasn't touched anything as precious as a whole pan of brownies... yet. I'm glad Bindi is ok.

    ReplyDelete